Friday, February 28, 2014

Allowing my body to heal

Understanding what exactly Lupus is can be tricky because it differs from person to person. Basically, it is an autoimmune disease that can cause damage to any part of your body by attacking and destroying healthy tissues. With this disease, the immune system can’t tell the difference between foreign invaders and its own body tissue. These attacks can be made on skin, tissues, or even organs. This disease also goes into a series of flare-ups and remissions that can be exacerbated by psychological or chemical stress or sometimes by seemingly nothing at all. Severity ranges from person to person as well as type of symptom.

After the diagnosis, my life soon drastically changed. Not only was I receiving almost daily Chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture treatments, massage, and taking a variety of homeopathics and herbs, but also the most difficult alteration was to my diet. God created our food to heal our bodies and our society has forgotten this over the years. Most people don’t know this, but all Chiropractors receive advanced training in nutrition whereas Medical Doctors receive little and most receive none. So Doctor Kay had a lot of good ideas. We had always eaten pretty healthy growing up. We had our own garden and my mom actually ground her own wheat to make bread, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t eat food that was bad for me… like gluten. I was a gymnast remember, and although I was currently in the process of quitting, I could never seem to get full. Our family used to joke that I should go to overeaters anonymous. I rarely ate much fast food, but I could sure put away the pasta, dairy, cookies, and potatoes in addition to whatever else was being served. I however, was never much of a fan of meat with the exception of Chick-fil-a and bacon. So my Chiropractor strongly encouraged a diet change, which got rid of all inflammatory food. It took a good bit of self-control to be able to give up all meat, dairy, gluten, and sugars. I’ll admit I didn’t give it all up 100%, but the majority was eliminated. With Lupus being an inflammatory disease, it’s hard enough for your body to heal from that without adding in any additional inflammatory toxins in the diet. I have maintained this basic diet my whole life, with the exception of periods of stress and a cheat day now and then.

This life change not only sounds unpleasant, but felt unpleasant too. Detoxifying your body from disease is not an enjoyable experience and I found myself questioning whether this was the right choice, as I was actually feeling much worse than before. I was completely drained of energy by this point; I just wanted to sleep all day. Had a foggy head and was constantly nauseous and weak. I stuck it out though, hopeful that it would all make me better. Hearing what all I had in my body inspired me to stick it out too. I don’t know who wouldn’t want to get rid of parasites, toxic levels of metal, autoimmune disease, and other such gunk out of their body.

Within about six months of all of this, I started to feel better. I didn’t really notice it at first because I had blocked out any thought of pain from my mind anyway, but finally I thought to myself, you know what, I do feel better. Doctor Kay had me go back to my original family practitioner to have all of the tests run again and to everyone’s amazement, everything came back negative. There were no traces of Lupus or even Arthritis. I will never forget that day. I don’t know if it was from embarrassment to blame or what, but the Medical Doctor, much to our disbelief, wouldn’t even come to the room to deliver the information but instead sent his assistant whom said, “well the original test results must have been wrong. There must have been an error. This is impossible.” You would think that it would have been hard for us to believe too, but the proof was evident in not only how I felt but also in how I looked. I felt like a twelve year old again. I had energy again. I could smile again. So my mom of course wasn’t going to let this slide and she said, “so first off, you are now saying that the tests could have been an error yet you were trying to force me to put poisons in her body? Will you not acknowledge now that this Chiropractor knows what she is doing as she is the one who recognized that this was an autoimmune disease?” He refused to see us that day or answer my mom’s questions and we never returned to his office. 

No comments:

Post a Comment